Summer Ruche

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Parable of the Great Pearl


I really liked using the Godly Play style of presenting the lesson to the two preschoolers I currently have for the parable of the hidden treasure, so I was glad to have a lesson to copy for this week instead of inventing my own. I basically followed the parable as the video which is posted at Living Montessori NOW that I ran into a few weeks back.

The official/original presentation of the parable uses a white circle (like a great pearl itself, shown here), but I used the same background of green felt as my previous lesson. And I used my own 3-D wooden figures instead of the flat pieces sold by Godly Play. I don't think it really matters. Even simple drawn figures or printouts of similar pieces would work. The pearl was one of my own earrings. Again, as in our parable of the hidden treasure, all that the merchant possessed was represented by our dollhouse furniture and merchant was the doll.

After our lesson presentation, I read the account from The Beginner's Bible as well, to give another mode of reinforcement. I allow the children to have access to the materials used for the lesson so they can retell it themselves and further internalize the parable.

We also had a simple snack of round rice crackers, since the shape reminded us of the great pearl. Really, it was the only snack I had on hand, but it fit nicely with the theme of the lesson.

I am noticing that colouring pages are much more scarce and of lesser quality with some of the less "famous" parables, so we didn't really have anything to color this week. For older children, there are some nice activity pages in this booklet from calvarycurriculum.com . But as we don't have an official class outline and they were ready for a snack, things went okay without a colouring page, and they just played until service was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment