Summer Ruche

Friday, May 10, 2013

Parable of the Persistent Widow

This week had even fewer selections than last week for my class, but I am very happy with how it's going nonetheless.

The parable of the persistent widow, from Luke 18, is something that may seem to exceed a young child's capacity to understand, but Jesus taught in parables and never disallowed children to be in His presence, so even though they may not grasp it, I think it's important to introduce it, and I think I will revisit the parables curriculum I'm developing now when the children I am teaching are several years older. The key to learning is repetition, and I don't believe these presentations get "old" for children any more than they do for us. Jesus told timeless stories, and they really are the best (which is understandable, since He is communication itself, as the Word of God).

That being said, here's what I've got for this week:

We will be having a simple presentation on a gray felt underlay with two figures.

I didn't find any good coloring sheets. One showed up on a search that is the same style as some others I have, but to me it didn't depict the parable or its message. However, there were several other sketches that were in the image search and I ended up combining them into this coloring page (see below). I don't know who the artist is, but I like the work (if anyone knows, I will happily give credit where it is due).



For a snack, I saw only one idea, but I really like it. It is a "gavel" snack made from a pretzel stick inserted into the side of a small rectangular candy bar, but I will use a lower sugar, more natural food bar of some kind. It doesn't fit the message of the parable, but it is staying within the theme, and a gavel can serve as a reminder that judgment was given (and request granted) in the end.



Crafts on the theme of prayer are obviously in order. Use what you like. I'm just scrapbooking my ideas here. I liked the prayer pail best. It is something to "do", i.e. pray - which is the point of the lesson - so I think it will be motivational for the children to use after they create, much like the Compassion Rolls from a previous parable. It is a simple craft, and I have all the supplies, so that is also a plus. I will use small metal pails from the dollar store (they were with the wedding favors) and small craft sticks. The children will tell me names or needs and I will send a few blank ones for their parents to add to (or correct my misspellings of names) at home. Then I'll let them decorate the pails with ribbons and stickers, most likely.


This picture is what inspired me (I later found it posted here), but there are many queries for it search engines. A prayer pail like the one here could also be used in the classroom on a regular basis.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your ideas, it is most appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I've obviously not posted faithfully, so check back for more ideas!

    ReplyDelete